Wednesday, April 28, 2010

SPICED RED LENTIL DAL

Dal (Dhal) is a typical Indian soup generally eaten with rice, veggies, or nan bread. There are many variations using different peas and beans. This recipe is very easy to make. I mixed it in a blender because I wanted it creamier. I always preferred chunky soups, but now I am discovering the simple, yet richly flavored taste of blended soups. Plus, in the case of this soup, I couldn't imagine crunching the mustard seeds in my teeth. I think I made the right decision.
The original recipe calls for optional butter, which I eliminated. A delicious soup, not too spicy.

Serves 4
TIME: 1 HOUR TOTAL

2 tbs peanut oil*
1 large onion, chopped
1 cup dried red lentils (split lentils), washed
and picked over
2 tbs minced fresh ginger
1 tbs minced garlic
1 tbs mustard seeds
2 cloves
1 tsp cracked black pepper (If you use regular
pepper, go easy because I think it might be
too much)
Salt
Chopped fresh cilantro leaves for garnish
(I think the soup was better without it)

Put oil in a skillet over medium high heat;
when hot, add onion and cook until soft, about
10 mins. Set aside.

Meanwhile, combine all remaining ingredients in
a saucepan. EXCEPT SALT AND CILANTRO. Add water
to cover by about 1", and bring to boil. Adjust
heat so mixture bubbles gently, and cook stirring
occasionally. Add more water if necessary. Cook
until lentils are tender, 15 to 20 mins.

Sprinkle with salt & pepper and keep cooking to
desired tenderness. Lentils should be saucy but
not soupy.

Remove cloves from pan and add reserved onion.
Put in blender and blend until smooth.


*I keep all my oils in the fridge. They last longer.

Recipe from New York Times (www.nytimes.com) January 6, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment