Monday, April 12, 2010

EL HARIRAH (MOROCCAN BEAN SOUP)

We've all had barley soup, lentil soup, and split pea soup. But have you had all three at the same time? I couldn't imagine it tasting good, but I loved it. The original recipe is from a recipe dated 1982. I don't know who published it. The original recipe calls for beef stock and stewed beef, but I eliminated both. I never use canned vegetable broth (See note) Recipe serves 4-6.

1/3 cup barley
1/3 cup split peas
1/3 cup lentils
2 tbs vegetable oil
3 cups chopped onion (3 large onions)
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped carrot
8 cups vegetable broth
3/4 tsp cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup uncooked rice
1 cup canned, drained chick peas
3 tbs lemon juice
1/2 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley

Soak barley, split peas and lentils overnight. Next day, in a large pot heat oil and add onion, celery, and carrot. Saute until tender. Add stock, cumin, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, partly cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. Add drained barley, split peas, and lentils. Simmer 15 minutes. Add rice and chick peas. Cook 15 minutes. Add lemon juice to individual bowls (to taste) which gives it a unique flavor. Adjust seasoning, if desired. Serve garnished with parsley.

Notes: (1) I used left over cooked rice that I already had in the fridge (2)There are several very good vegetable broths that are powdered, pastes (for richer broth), or containers. They can all be found in supermarkets and health food stores. Canned broths like Swansons are tasteless. You are better off stewing a few veggies and making your own broth instead of the canned. It is probably cheaper and less wasteful to buy the powdered and the paste.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great thing you are doing. I want to get back into cooking vegan recipes again but Grad School has me busy. I'm finishing up this year and have the summer off. I hope to be trying some of these and other recipes your followers send in.

    ReplyDelete