Friday, August 27, 2010

STEWED CORN AND TOMATOES W/GREEN PEPPER

The real title of this recipe is Stewed Corn and Tomatoes with Okra. I did make it with okra, but I have finally realized that I do not like okra, so I removed it from the dish after it was cooked. I think the okra did not lend anything to the recipe as it was delicious without it. If you like okra, I will add the amount and instruction at the end of the recipe.

Serves 6
Active Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1-1/4 hours

6 scallions, chopped
1 fresh jalapeno, finely chopped, with seeds
(I used poblano pepper about the size of what
a jalapeno would be because I had it in the
freezer. Poblano is not as hot as jalapeno)

1 large green pepper, coarsely chopped
2 tbs of vegetable oil
1 pound tomatoes, coarsely chopped*
3 cups corn (from 5-6 ears) I used frozen
corn

1/2 pound small fresh okra (if desired), trimmed,
keeping stem end intact

Cook scallions, jalapeno, bell pepper, and oil in a
12" skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally,
until scallions begin to brown, 7-9 minutes.

Stir in tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally,
until broken down into a sauce, about 15 minutes.

Add corn (and okra) and cook, stirring occasionally,
until just tender about 15 minutes.

*To prepare tomatoes, put them in boiling water, and
when skin begins to split remove, cool, peel, chop.

Recipe adapted from Stewed Corn and Tomatoes
with Okra, from Gourmet, 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment