Thursday, August 19, 2010

CAJUN HOMESTYLE CHILI

I eliminated the meat in this chili and added a bit of rice. I think it might have been better without the rice, as the rice took away from the richness of the chili. Cornbread would go great with this. Or corn on the cob. The recipe even suggested french bread for dipping or topping a baked potato with chili.

Cajun Trinity: bell pepper, onion, celery

2 tbs olive oil
1 bell pepper, diced
1 sweet onion, diced
2 ribs celery, diced
1 tbs minced garlic
2 tbs Chili Powder (or you could use cumin. I used
chili powder - afterall, it is Chili)
1/2 to 1 tsp of creole or cajun seasoning (see recipe)

2 cans diced tomatoes
(I used one 14 oz can plus 2 plum tomatoes put in food
processor, only because I had only one can. Next time I
make this I will use two cans, but I would put second
can in a little at a time so as not to make too watery.)

1 can pinto beans, drained
Dash of Tabasco sauce

Saute bell pepper, onions, celery in olive oil until soft

Add minced garlic.

Add Chili Powder and Creole Seasoning.

Pour canned tomatoes into blender or food processor
and puree. Add to veggie mix.

Add beans and stir well. Simmer uncovered on medium
to low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to
prevent burning, which it will, so pay attention.

Recipe from Cajun Cooking TV (on the Internet)
1/25/09

No comments:

Post a Comment