Thursday, September 9, 2010

MACARONI AND PEAS

This is an old recipe that I learned from my ex mother-in-law decades ago. I didn't cook it this time around, but have eaten it a lot and I wanted to list it in my Italian recipes. It is an unusual pasta dish, that most people have never heard of. Unless, of course, you are Italian, probably Sicilian.

Serves 4

1 15 ounce can of peas
1 large onion, chopped
Enough Ditali macaroni for 4 people*
Olive Oil for cooking onion and a bit extra
Salt and Pepper

Cook macaroni according to directions on box

Cook onions in olive oil until starting to brown.
You don't want to brown every piece, but at least
half, as this will give it lots of flavor.

To the onions, add the entire can of peas, including
water in can. Cook a few minutes until hot. Then
just add to macaroni.

Add salt and pepper to taste. I usually add extra
pepper as it goes well with the peas.

*Ditali macaroni is traditionally used. I usually
eat this dish with a spoon. A larger macaroni
will not go well with the small peas.

Recipe from Grace DiSalvo, a beautiful spirited
Italian woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment