Friday, July 30, 2010

CARIBBEAN CORN AND VEGETABLE BAKE

First of all let me say that I thought "shucked" meant removing the kernels from the cob, so that's what I did and happily so. But it means to just remove the husks from the corn. I am sure the recipe would be great with just pieces of corn on the cob, but I really preferred the kernels as part of the bake. Removing the kernels is easy as long as you have a sharp knife (Stand the cob straight up)
All that said, I loved this dish. I thought it was going to be just baked veggies but the mixing of the tomato juices with the onions and spices was heavenly. A very easy recipe too.

Serves 4-6

2 tbs olive oil
2-1/2 tsps ground cumin
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp sugar
3/4 tsp dried thyme, crumbled
1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
1/8 tsp ground red pepper
4 ears fresh corn, shucked and halved
1 lb plum tomatoes, cut in half*
12 oz small thin-skinned potatoes, cut in
quarters, unpeeled
2 medium onions, cut in thin wedges

Preheat oven to 450. In a small bowl mix oil, cumin,
salt, sugar, thyme, black pepper and red pepper until
blended.

Place corn, tomatoes, potatoes, and onions in a
non-reactive 15 x 10 roasting pan.

Pour the oil mixture over the vegetables; toss gently
to coat.

Cover pan with foil. Bake, stirring once or twice
until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.

Recipe from Southern Supersweet Corn via an old
newspaper recipe.

*the only tomatoes I use are vine ripe tomatoes and
I always put them in a brown bag as soon as I get
home from shopping. They ALWAYS taste like tomatoes
unlike all other tomatoes from supermarkets. They
are more expensive, but well worth it. If recipe
says cut in half, I quarter them.

No comments:

Post a Comment