Wednesday, July 28, 2010

CARIBBEAN-STYLE BLACK BEAN AND RICE SALAD

Cold rice salads never appealed to me, so I never tried them. This recipe has changed my mind. I have just one thing to say about this recipe: FABULOUS!

Since I cooked this a couple of hours before dinner, I put the rice and beans (separately) in the freezer to cool down quickly. Do not let it freeze.

Serves 6

1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tbs Dijon Mustard
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp minced garlic

2-1/2 cups cooked white or white basamati rice
1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed, drained
3/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
3/4 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
3/4 cup chopped green onions (scallions)
(Don't skimp on the scallions)
Lettuce leaves (optional)

Whisk oil, vinegar, mustard, cumin and garlic in
medium bowl until well blended. Season with salt
and pepper.

Combine rice, beans, peppers and onions in large
bowl. Toss salad with enough dressing to moisten
(I used entire dressing). Season with salt and pepper.

Can be made 6 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate.

Line large serving bowl with lettuce, if desired, which
I did not.

Recipe from Bon Appetit July 1997

No comments:

Post a Comment