Wednesday, May 12, 2010

FABIO'S CREAMLESS CREAMY SQUASH SOUP

This soup is inspired by chef Fabio Picchi of the Florentine restaurant Cibreo, and is his signature first course. It usually uses meat stock as a base, but cookbook writer Faith Willinger thinks water is good enough, and I agree. While I was cooking the veggies for this soup, I was thinking how could this be a good recipe - it seemed so bland. Well, I was wrong. There is something very magical when all the veggies of a soup are blended. And this soup is no exception. Creamy, rich, a slight hint of red pepper. Scrumptious. The original recipe calls for a crisp Italian almond macaroon for sprinkling, but I used some unsweetened coconut (sweet would be fine) I had left-over from my Indian cooking, and some sliced almonds I had. Frankly, I don't think they are needed, but it was a nice touch.

Serves 6
Time: 1 Hour

1 celery rib, chopped
1 medium carrot, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 tbs olive oil
1 lb winter squash, such as butternut, peeled, seeded, and
cut into 1/2" cubes (I used 1 lb without the peel as it is a
thick peel) *
1/2 lb potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2" cubes
1/8 tsp dried hot red pepper flakes
2 tsps sea salt
3-1/2 cups BOILING water
1 crisp amaretto (Italian almond macaroon) finely crushed
(approx. 2 tbs) See above note

Cook celery, carrot, and onion in oil in a 3-quart heavy
saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally, until tender
but not browned. About 10-12 minutes.

Add squash, potatoes, red pepper, and salt. Stir in 3-1/2
cups of BOILING water and simmer, covered, until veggies
are very tender, about 20 minutes.

Cool soup a bit and puree in batches in a blender. Add water
if necessary.

Sprinkle with coconut and almond, if desired.

*When I cook with butternut squash I cut it into large chunks
before I peel it, and many times I use a knife to peel instead
of a potato peeler. It is a difficult vegetable to cut so do
smaller pieces.

Recipe from Red, White & Greens by Faith Willinger as
featured in The Best of Gourmet 2002

No comments:

Post a Comment