Wednesday, October 13, 2010

POTATOES WITH CABBAGE

It has been difficult finding green vegetable recipes for German food. There are however, lots of recipes for potatoes, beets, and cabbage. I've been trying to eat less carbs, but I will have to make an exception this month with potatoes - at least, they are healthier than pasta and bread. And I do love them.

The original recipe calls for savoy cabbage. I used regular cabbage because I don't care for savoy, unless it is in Asian food.

Serves 6 to 8

3 Yukon Gold potatoes (about 1-1/4 lbs)
1/2 of a large head of cabbage (about 2 lbs)
4 cloves of garlic, crushed
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tbs of soy butter (I added one tbs while cooking
and one after it was cooked.
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp salt

Peel potatoes and cut into quarters.
Remove core of cabbage and discard. Cut
cabbage into 1" chunks.

Bring 4 quarts of water to boil; add potatoes
and cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Add
cabbage to potatoes and cook until both
vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.

Drain vegetables thoroughly. In a 12"
skillet, cook crushed garlic in hot oil for one
minute.

Add potatoes, cabbage, butter,
crushed red pepper, and salt. Cook and
stir over medium heat about 15 minutes
or until veggies are very tender, using your spoon to
break the potatoes into lumpy chunks.
Serve immediately.

I think this recipe is from Traditional Home and
and I have no idea how old it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment